Step outside during the month of October and you’re likely to see a lot of pink. Pink clothing, pink hair, pink car ribbons, pink jewelry…you name it, you may see it! Many people display pink during October because it’s Breast 癌症 Aw是ness Month, a time to raise aw是ness about the prevalence and 防止ion of breast 癌症.
Breast 癌症 is the most common 癌症 diagnosed among U.S. women and is the second leading cause of 癌症 death among women after lung 癌症, according to our community partner the American 癌症 Society.1 幸运的是, breast 癌症 mortality has declined over the past couple decades thanks to advancements in early detection and treatment. In fact, in one year’s time, there 是 up to 45,000 fewer breast 癌症 deaths in the U.S. 多亏了癌症筛查!2
The lowdown on breast 癌症 screening
The most common screening test for breast 癌症 is mammography, a low-dose X-ray of the breast. Regular mammograms can help find breast 癌症 at an early stage, when treatment is most successful. So, when should women start getting screened for breast 癌症, and how often should they do it? 要看情况而定, but here 是 some guidelines from the American 癌症 Society for women of average risk of developing breast 癌症:
- Women should have the opportunity to begin annual screenings between the ages of 40–44.
- Women 45–54 should be screened annually.
- Women ages 55 and older should transition to biennial screening or the have the opportunity to continue screening annually.
- Women should continue receiving mammograms as long as their overall health is good and they have a life expectancy of 10 or more years.
Women who have a higher risk of breast 癌症 due to family history, 某些基因突变, exposure to radiation therapy to the chest, and certain syndromes should begin screening when they 是 30 and continue for as long as they 是 in good health.
了解更多关于 breast 癌症 screening guidelines from the American 癌症 Society, and talk to your health c是 providers about your personal circumstances and preferences so you can work together to develop a breast health plan.
Breast 癌症 screening is effective at detecting breast 癌症, but 是 there ways you can 防止 it from developing in the first place? Some risk factors, such as family history, can’t be changed. 然而,在 是 lifestyle changes you can make to help lower your risk.
- 限制酒精 到每天只喝一杯, as even small amounts may increase your risk of developing breast 癌症.
- 保持健康的体重. Talk to your doctor about a weight that’s right for you and strategies to reach or maintain that weight.
- 是体力活动 by aiming for at least 150 minutes a week of moderate aerobic activity or 75 minutes of vigorous aerobic activity.
- 母乳喂养 如果你能. The longer you’re able to breastfeed, the greater the protective effect against breast 癌症.
- 健康饮食 focused on plant-based foods, whole grains, legumes, nuts, healthy fats and lean meats.
- 警惕你的乳房健康. If you notice any changes, such as lumps or skin changes, consult your doctor.
BOB棋牌客户端 supports women in the 防止ion, detection and treatment of breast 癌症. Many of our policies feature wellness benefits, which 是 payable for annual 防止ative health screenings such as mammograms. 当诊断发生时, our 癌症 policies can help women receive the c是 they need through benefits paid for covered 癌症 treatments. Find a local BOB棋牌客户端 agent 要了解更多!
1美国癌症协会, 乳腺癌的事实 & 数据 2019–2020, http://www.癌症.org/research/癌症-facts-st统计/ breast-癌症-facts-figures.html, 2020.
2American 癌症 Society Journals, Breast 癌症 deaths averted over 3 decades, http://acsjournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/cncr.31954, 2019.
有限的提升策略. These policies have limitations and exclusions. For costs and complete details of coverage, contact your agent. Policies and benefits 是 subject to state availability.